The Homebrew Club for Montrose, Colorado and Surrounding Area.
Welcome to Black Canyon Homebrewers Association.
We brew hand crafted, high quality malted beverages.
We drink hand crafted, high quality malted beverages.
We refill hand crafted, high quality malted beverages.
- SMaSH Updates, Big Brew Day, and Moreby David Sinton
Please bring your SMaSH beers to either David’s place (after 11:00 AM) or to Casey’s place (please contact David for addresses) by 3:00 PM or earlier on Friday, May 26th. Please call either of us beforehand to coordinate dogs and such. Casey will take the beers up to Grand Junction for the judging. Please follow the instructions carefully. If you need either form printed I will have a few ready for you. If you’re unsure of what category, I have the 2021 BJCP Style Guide. Once again, this is the Single Malt and Single Hop competition we are having with the Bookcliffs Homebrew Association.
Big Brew Day
All versions of the Nearly Nirvana recipe were brewed on May 6. Now we need to pick which one we’ll send to the regional competition. On Thursday, June 1 we’ll have a How to Judge Beer Class and Actually judge these beers! Please come and learn how to judge beers according to style and how to steward beers. We’ll do this at Pomona Brewery at 6:00 PM in the back.
How can you resist? Although the base malts are already gone there’s still plenty of adjuncts. Rather than do another inventory just ask Matt or look in previous emails or check the website.
The next meeting will be at Pomona Brewery on June 22nd at 6:00 PM. Yes, I know that’s the fourth Friday of June but I have a previous commitment on the third Thursday.
Minutes and Constitution
The minutes from the last meeting will be posted to the website in a few days. I’ll be sending out an email soon with edits to the Constitution (with track changes on) so we can vote on this at the next meeting.
Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, issues, or good beer to share!
- April Meetingby David Sinton
- SMaSH competition
- SMaSH stands for Single Malt and Single Hop. We’ve been challenged by the Bookcliffs Homebrew Club.
- Big Brew Day Competition 2023 – Rocky Mountain Region
- On May 6 at Pomona Brewery we will brew a batch of beer for the . The batch is Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/nearly-nirvana-pale-ale/). One or more brewers will make this batch and we will pick one to submit as a club. From the regional coordinators: The purpose of the competition is to celebrate Big Brew and homebrewing by bringing homebrew clubs together to make the same official recipe for side-by-side competition. This competition is by invitation only for all AHA registered homebrew clubs in the Rocky Mountain states of Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming.
- Montrose County Fair!
- This year’s fair will be July 21-29. We will conduct homebrewed beer and wine competition. This will be an AHA-sanctioned event.
- Spring Picnic
- Anyone interested?
- Review Constitution
- Please have a look (https://www.blackcanyonbrewers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Constitution-of-the-Black-Canyon-Homebrewers-Association.pdf). Let’s discuss changes.
- 501(c)(3) | Bank Account | Webstore | Dues
- If we set up either a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(5) we’ll be able to establish a bank account. With a bank account, we’ll be able to create an online store, collect dues, and generally be more solid as an organization.
- Date: May 18, 2023 at 6:00 PM
- Location: TBA
- SMaSH competition
- March Meeting | SMaSH | Pomona Brewery | More…by David Sinton
Just a reminder! Our next meeting will be this Wednesday, March 15th at 6:00 PM at my house. If you need directions, please contact me through email or Facebook IM. We’ll have a lot to talk about. Please bring beers to share and maybe food too. I’ll have corned beef and cabbage and some other food too.
FROM BOOKCLIFF HOME BREW CLUB: We are holding a SMaSH competition between Bookcliff Home Brew Club and Black Canyon Home Brewers of Montrose! Using the grain and hops that were recently donated to BCHB, this is a FREE competition that will utilize one grain and one hop variety per competitor/team. The grain and hops Bookcliff Home Brew Club have available are as follows [NOTE: the below table is what’s easily available to Bookcliff – please see earlier posts for what’s available to Black Canyon – ds]:
Crystal 60 – 25 lb
Crystal 77 – 25 lb
Pilsner – 25lb
Vienna Malt – 25 lb
Pale Chocolate – 24 lb
Beech Smoked Barley – 25lb
3 oz Comet
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Message us with one grain and one hop variety from the above lists, including the amount you want to use. You will then pick up from an officers house (we will DM you the address). Brew your SMaSH beer and have it ready by the end of May. We will provide you with the drop off details. Judging will take place in June and we plan on having a dual club meet up and tasting of the SMaSH beers that were brewed as well as announcing the winner! Judging will be based on BJCP standards for whatever style is submitted.
WHAT THE HECK IS A SMASH BEER??
SMaSH stands for Single Malt and Single Hop. It’s a great way to focus in on one hop variety and one malt variety and see how each stand on their own as well as how they compliment one another within a single beer recipe. It’s a method that is utilized among both home brewers and professional brewers alike.
This will be a first come, first served thing, so message us asap to get what hops and grain you want. Please message us if you have any questions! We look forward to competing with our neighbors in Montrose!
Coming (very) soon…
Keven, formally from San Juan Brews, is opening his own place called Pomona Brewing. He hopes to open on Saint Patrick’s Day! His address is 830 North Townsend Avenue – the corner of North Ninth and North Townsend. He already has seven beers ready to go and more on the way! So check out his website and facebook page. Better yet, stop in and have a pint!
- Hops and grains still available. Please see earlier posts for more info.
- This new website is still under construction. Please let David know of any improvements he can make.